So I did the Overland Track the other day.
WALK INFORMATION Date: September 15 - 20, 2015 Distance: 87km Weather: A bit rainy, overcast, but not too bad.
It was good. I didn’t take many photos. There were too many clouds.
Though there was a wombat or three.
I’d write more, but the trip has been covered by others far funnier than I:
- Day 1. Ronny Creek to Kitchen Hut.
- Day 2. Kitchen Hut to Waterfall Valley, via Cradle Mountain.
- Day 3. Waterfall Valley to Windermere Hut.
- Day 4. Windermere Hut to Pelion Hut.
- Day 5. Pelion Hut to Kia Ora Hut.
- Day 6. Kia Ora Hut to Bert Nichols Hut.
- Day 7. Bert Nichols to Echo Point Hut.
- Day 8. Echo Point to Cynthia Bay. Finish!
All I can add, is to agree that Bert Nichols Hut is a shocker.
Too big, badly designed, freezing and boring. It mightn’t have helped that I was there by myself. The rest were wonderful.
Actually, I like a list so here is (in order) my ranked lists of huts (that I saw)
- Pine Valley
- Echo Point
- Waterfall Valley
- Kia Ora
- Bert Nichols
The walk was about 88km all up. I got lost a few times in the cloud, which was pretty amazing considering the track is so well marked.
For the record this was my daily trip log:
- The start -> Waterfall Hut
- Waterfall Hut -> Pelion
- Pelion -> Bert Nichols
- Bert Nichols -> Pine Valley
- Pine Valley -> Echo Point
- Echo Point -> The end
Few big days and a few slack days as I sat by the heater in my sleeping bag, reading while it rained (there was a lot of cloud).
February 11, 2014
Thanks for providing the links to my blog. That must have taken you a while! Always appreciated!
You’ve done well with the wombat photos. That’s a beauty 🙂
June 8, 2014
Just saw this comment!
No worries about the links – they are a fantastic read.